This recipe from the Veneto region of Italy reflects the cuisine of Trieste, a particularly varied and tasty food that has admirably combined the gastronomy of Central Europe and the Mediterranean.
Ingredients (2 people)
- 4 artichokes
- 50 g breadcrumbs (or crushed stale bread)
- 50 g grated parmesan
- 1 small handful of parsley
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Salt and black pepper from the mill
- Fill a large container with water and juice lemon.
- Cut the tail of the artichokes, remove the outer leaves, then finalize the turn with a knife to remove the soft leaves. Then, using a spoon, remove the hay to obtain a smooth hollow.
- Plunge the artichoke hearts into the lemon water. This prevents them from oxidizing and turning black during the rest of the preparation.
- Chop the parsley with the garlic. Place the mince in a large bowl and add the breadcrumbs while mixing. Add it Parmesan cheese grated, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix the stuffing well and moisten it with a little water if it is too dry.
- Drain the artichokes. Fill them evenly with stuffing.
- Heat a large saucepan or casserole over medium heat with a little olive oil. Arrange the artichokes (stuffing on top) inside and sauté for 5 minutes. Add water halfway up the artichokes and cook, covered, for 25-30 minutes. The artichokes should become tender while remaining whole.
- Serve and eat them hot.